Please become part of our vision…
Where everyone has a decent place to live in the communities we serve.
“Building Homes and Hope for the Future”
Buzzards Bay Area Habitat for Humanity is not a give-away program! We offer a hand up to families with a dignified approach that enhances their pride in ownership. We help provide homes to working families who struggle to pay rent or mortgage payments in our community.
Homes are built with volunteer labor and donations of money and materials, as well as, 300 sweat equity hours the Habitat family invests into building their own home. Homes are sold to partner families at no profit and are financed with affordable, no-interest loans. The mortgage payments are reinvested in the affiliate enabling us to serve our most vulnerable neighbors.
Owning a home has the potential to break the cycle of poverty for low income families, especially for the next generation. By obtaining a home, the family has healthier surroundings that enable the whole family’s health to improve, both mentally and physically. With a greater sense of stability, children often make better grades and stay in school longer. Some further their education and grow in their careers because they have gained confidence and responsibility of owning a home. A new cycle begins and it all starts at home. Low income, working families need affordable housing to provide a healthy, stable environment for their family.
How are the recipients of Habitat houses selected?
Each year the BBAHFH Family Selection Committee holds informational meetings at local venues and solicits applications from potential families. The committee reviews applications, meets with potential partner families, narrows selection and makes recommendations to the BBAHFH Board.
Evaluation is based on the following factors:
- Proof of US citizenship or permanent resident status
- Severity of need for adequate shelter – present home is overcrowded, has structural or other problems, or costs more than 30% of income
- Ability to pay – good credit and sufficient income to afford the monthly payments and costs associated with home ownership
- Willingness to partner – acceptance of financial and “sweat equity” requirements (a minimum of 300 hours of labor from the selected family)
- Resident of our service area – (Acushnet, Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Marion, Mattapoisett, New Bedford, Rochester and Wareham)
CLICK HERE to download our home application form – No downpayment required.